Monday, May 4, 2009

April 6, 2009

Dear ones.

This is not the message I hoped to send. After early hopeful news, the doctor discovered cancer ‘well away’ from gall bladder site. They trace under Mike’s pancreas and discovered the tumor had spread.

So.

First, this means that a liver resection will do him no good. This means he will be released from hospital earlier than expected. I had planned on staying in Indianapolis until Monday; now I assume we will go home Wed/Thurs. I will keep you posted.

The surgeon said that they were at first relieved not to find cancer at the sites where the gall bladder was removed laproscopically. And then there were those 2 negative nodules. But then they went under the pancreas and found more cancer.

What does this mean? Factually, we are looking at a year, maybe more. Whatever care Mike chooses will be palliative, means to improve the quality of life. The surgeon said that it comes down to choices between quality and quantity and advise that today is not the day to make this choice.

You know that we know that we are in God’s hands. Mike said to me the other day that this may be God’s plan, even though it’s not what we would wish for. Before surgery, anticipating convalesce, he had me print out Isaiah 41:10 and Romans 8:38-39.

Right now, I’m going to catch a quick nap. Then, I’ll go over and sit with my husband, hold his hand and we will read these verses and understand that it is a different path that we will now follow.

Of course, I know you, my dears, will be praying for us. It is a new adventure we are on.

No comments:

Post a Comment