Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas 2011: Mike's Addition

This is the first time I have been permitted by Lynne to contribute to the Christmas letter, probably for fear that I would write something embarrassing. I would, too, if I thought I could get away with it, but I know that this brief note will be censored of any inappropriate content.

As most of you are aware, I was supposed to be dead 20 months ago. I like to tell people that "I decided not to die on schedule." The truth is that I had nothing to do with it. I think that I am still here because literally hundreds of people, including fifty nuns in a convent up north, pray for me regularly. I also like to think that my usefulness on this earth is not yet over. I think the Lord still has something lasting for me to do, although I am not sure what it is. We shall see.

For what it is worth, I have had the best year of my life in 2010. I do not play lawyer anymore. Yippee! I spend my days working in my shop, flying airplanes, riding motorcycles, and hanging out at Winona Lake with my dog, Iverson. I still swim a mile most days and have taken up bicycling on the Nickel Plate Trail or at the Boy's Club at the lake. I teach one class at Ivy Tech, which is fun and a challenge. I've taken up cooking and housekeeping. I am still trying to play the guitar and practice every day. After 33 years of unrelenting stress in the legal world, I delight in each day.

Lastly, I have not lost sight of the fact that I have been given a second life. I do not deserve it. I know that. Each new day is a treasure for me. I try to live it like it is the last one I am going to get, because that will be true all too soon. I am still hopelessly in love with my wife. She just gets better. A good day is any day we get to hang out together. I still love it when I can make her laugh, which seems often these days. I am continually amazed at the number of friends that "just drop by the shop to see what I am building." We are both so proud of Allyson, Zach, the grandchildren, and Joclyn, too.

Like I said before, I do not deserve this, but do not think I do not appreciate it. Mike out.

1 comment:

  1. Michael: so great to read about you -- may God keep you well in the new year n many years to come!!!

    ReplyDelete