Sunday, February 27, 2011

Tyranny of the Calendar Part II

During the summer of 2009, because we had friends and family around, I could go off by myself once in a while, to take a break from illness.

One of those breaks took me to our local cinema. I like going to the movies and I really like going to the Blue Hair Special showings: early, early, with oldsters in attendance. Sometimes we get a deal on admission. Always we get to sit back in an uncrowded theater. When the announcement plays asking us to 'silence your cell phones,' there's a chuckle as most of us, if we HAVE cell phones, don't have them with us.

So, sitting in the cool darkness, I watched Zombieland.

Yes, I did.

Look, it's a funny movie. It may lean away from the best of taste but it's a ZOMBIE MOVIE. You know, the undead. They roam around and eat the living. They dine with relish, not the pickle variety. Once you buy into the premise, this film is witty and has lots of sight gags. I laughed out loud all the way through it.

So, those of you who assume this writer has some taste: my taste has many facets. Also, let's be honest. No much funny was going on at home and a good laugh was cleansing. I could just let myself go for 2 hours.

While I drove home, thinking of how much I had enjoyed this movie, I wondered if it really WAS that funny or did I need it to be that funny. So, I dragged my son Zach with me to see it the next day. I'm not sure of his take. He DID tell me that now I must see Sean of the Dead, kind of a bookend piece, to get the entire Zombie experience.

(I have watched Sean of the Dead. I stayed after school one day and watched it in my room When I turned on my lights afterward, to my amazement, there were about 8 kids sitting there who had heard the movie and had dropped by.)

Now the movie is on our cable, so we've watched it again (and again and again) I'm in quoting mode when it comes to Zombieland.

The only sad part of going to the movies that summer was the previews. They want to tempt you with the upcoming features. I remember that after the preview, the screen would flash with "Coming Christmas 2009" and I registered that Mike would not get to see it.

Yes, I know. When you're facing death, a movie preview tease seems pretty inconsequential. But, let me tell you, there are lots of places where we are reminded of something that will happen in the future, with a date. All good for planning. A bit sad when you think you are looking at the end.

So, although calendars help me stay organized, they can be tyrants when it hurts to look too far into the future.

So, let me tell you that today was a good day. We went to church, praised God with some great music, and learned about Jonathon and David and their bond of friendship. We were reminded that there is power in affirmation. As is always the case, we had a lot to talk about on the drive home.

This afternoon, some friends drove down from up north. We had a good time, went out for dinner and now they are on their way home.

This evening, Mike and I will probably watch the beginning of the Academy Awards. That cute boy from Zombieland is up for Best Actor but it will go to Colin Firth, who mesmerized us in The King's Speech.

Tonight, we will try to get a good night's sleep.

Tomorrow, bright and early, I'll be up. I want to go for a long walk before school. Then, I"ll be back in my classroom. Because of the snow day last Friday, the kiddies will get an extra day for their essays. They will be thrilled.

Mike will drive out the the hospital and begin his treatment. They are really good at respecting limited time so his 8 AM appointment will be at 8 AM.

Dear friends, you can pray specifically for us tomorrow. We'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I will most assuredly be praying for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely praying for you both tomorrow! And Again, and again.......

    Love you both, so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your thoughful reflection, Lynne. We are standing in the gap and sending our love, Kris and Steve

    ReplyDelete