Friday, December 7, 2012

Miracles all around us

This morning, briefly, I was listening to the radio. The partial lyric was “I need a miracle.”

Don’t we all? Do we take our requests to God and do we expect His answer? Or do we fail to see Him and see the impossible request instead. Can’t speak for anyone else but this is too often my mode. “Here’s the problem, God. And there’s no way this can be solved.” And so often, He honors my weak, half-a-mustard-seed faith and fixes the problem supernaturally. And then, gently, He reminds me that HE is in this problem with me and HE will fix it.
I have a friend whose grandson has faced some hard medical challenges in his young life. Our small group prays for him and his mommy and daddy and little brother; and now for Grandma and Grandpa who have stepped up to fill in while baby and Mom are at the hospital.
Few things are tougher than a sick child. But recently, his mom has made the choice to find something to be thankful for every day. She now starts her updates with her items of praise. This is not just a good exercise; it leads her to look for and recognize how God is working in this situation.
I know that it helps her; it also serves her brothers and sisters in the faith by spreading that encouragement. And her son’s life continues to be a miracle of healing.
I hope some of you will feel led to add Cade to your prayer list. God knows all of the details.
The other night, Mike was scheduled to get to church for rehearsal as he is supposed to play next Sunday. I found him in bed; he said he felt really sick and wasn’t sure he could make it to church. He asked me to let him sleep 30 more minutes. I did. He woke and said he still felt ill. “But I have to go,” he said. So, off he went.
2 hours later, when he arrived back home; he told me that, although he doesn’t understand this, as soon as he entered the church building, the illness lifted. Next, God placed someone in his path who needed some encouragement and Mike was able to provide it. And, while rehearsing, he said that the music for Sunday is ‘glorious.’ He said that the first song almost moved him to tears.
It is a prayer that God will answer if you asked Him to show you answers to prayers. He also will show you the miracles around you. And when you see them, it builds your faith and draws you closer to Him.
Amid all the tinsel and lights, we need to remember that Christmas is one of God’s best miracles:

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment