Monday, July 13, 2009

Plusses--Port--Pump--Poison

We are now home from our long day at the hospital.

Last night, I tossed and slept little. Then, I began to meditate on God's promises about being with us, be not afraid, I have overcome the world...others but it was late...and I drifted off to sleep.

This morning, as soon as I woke, I realized that my fear was gone. In its place was a numb feeling but NUMB is way better than FEAR. Does God have one about NUMB?

All went as planned. They have fitted the hub so the radiation hits a very specific area. To do that, they painted a PLUS on both sides at his waist and then a third one about the center of his belly. The radiation takes only a few minutes.

Next, he went into surgery so they could install a PORT. This is a gizmo that opens to the outside and then runs right into a major vein. When he woke up, they wheeled him back to Oncology where his angel nurse introduced us to the PUMP. It is housed in a 'stylish black bag' (manufacturer's' words...who said English teachers can't find work!?) which can be worn around the waist, set on a table, slipped into a briefcase, or "use your imagination!"

It will pump away, 24 hours a day, pumping POISON into my hub. You may know this..if not, you may benefit from the crash course I have been taking. Chemotherapy kills cells. It is poison. One is not to just splash it around carelessly. Its target is 'fast growing cells' of which cancer cells are prime target. Other fast growers are skin, hair, and the mucous membranes from the inside of your mouth all the way through your gut.

There I go, getting all technical.

So. 1) Thanks for your prayers. God is with us.
2) We begin the regime for 6 weeks.
3) The hub will be sporting a 'stylish black bag' which he will probably hide in a briefcase.

We value your friendship and prayers. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. Glad to know you're home and that all went as planned. You've been heavy on my mind all day. Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Lynne, let your hubby know that a fanny pack (if that's what you mean by stylish black bag) is cool! Comedian Joe Rogan was on the Dennis Miller show not long ago talking about trying to bring that trend back. Best to you both. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope all is still going well this week! I'm starting to have "Cottage Update" withdrawal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. here is a comment from the hub. i have the greatest wife there is. she is a wonder. so far chem and rad is no big deal. rode my bicycle 13 miles today. my black bag is just like the tour de france. i keep water and a banana in it. lance would be pleased. hub out.

    ReplyDelete